20111025

Week 4 - more

On Smart-ness


Something was funny yesterday with the universe.  Charts were missing, and I had a substitute MA in clinic.  The fetal fibronectin test I did on Labor and Delivery was whisked off into the unknown depths of the hospital by the tube system before the nurse could enter the destination "lab."  We didn't know where it went.  Anyway I'm not even sure I got it into the posterior fornix, because I was trying to do it without a speculum for the first time.  It was repeated and both (when the first was found), were negative.  I feel better now. 

Was given an additional patient in clinic because the scheduled provider was sick.  This was an elderly Mexican former caballero c/o hip pain for a hip that was supposed to be replaced 2 years ago.  I bantered with him and made the referral, then he tried to take me home at the end.  Cute-ish?  Maybe creepy?  His teenage son thought so.
Another thing I learned:  I don't know anything about tongue problems.  I remember lots of exciting graphics from medical school.  That's it.  I remember that there were graphics.  If you have an acute tongue problem you should see someone else this week.  But the good news is, I'm reading up on it.

My buddy Niner sent me an article that talks about intelligence.  Apparently folks who believe intelligence is a fixed entity don't learn as much and often are less successful.  What's more, they're more likely to view their failures as devastation.  People who think intelligence is fluid, and can be improved by studying or experience are more likely to learn from their failures and to take them in stride.  They're more successful and adaptable.  This is like when you tell the kids who take a test they're smart, then they don't try as hard later because they're afraid to fail and look less intelligent.  If you praise a child, instead, for working hard on a problem, they'll do better in the long run because the effort is valued instead of the innate talent.

I could have done better, it seems.  I was always told I was smart, and I remember "learning" from some "expert" at one point that intelligence or aptitude was basically fixed genetically.  But now I'm going to be actually smart, and stop believing that.  This year is going to be a learning year.  Every time I make a mistake or doubt my knowledge; every time I kick myself for not knowing something or compare myself to another doctor, I'm going to say the following to myself:  "I am going to learn a lot this year."  And maybe, just maybe, someday I'll be a smart, good, competent doctor.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment